Friday, April 5, 2013

Live as if you were living a second time, and as though you had acted wrongly the first time.

After quite not as big failure as I thought it was (look: one post earlier), I started my new job.
'Trainee' means don't get angry on me, Mr Guest.
It's as cool and as hard, as I thought it is this time. It's never boring at the reception. In my earlier job, I was sitting there and waiting and wishing for someone to go inside and then, even not caring anymore, as all the rooms were already taken and I was checking my facebook for the 10000th time and watching movies on my night shifts and it was a job I could actually learn in 2 days and be able to do it normally already.

But here it's different. There is always something to do, things to check, guests coming in and out to ask for your assistance. Hotel system is the most popular one in big hotels, thanks god not Fidelio, but Opera, which looks quite similar to the ones I was working on in China (although still more difficult). I will get my uniform next month maybe, all the stamps with my name, IDs for systems and official e-mail address will be created for me as soon as I deliver them some missing documents.

But, as it is a hotel, it's work connected with people. And believe me or not, this is what I like the most. On my very first shift, I could meet a group of older Americans, who looked like Asians actually, with a nice tour leader called Mike, who sometimes was nice and sometimes I was thinking that he's slowly crosing the thin line of what is a joke and impertinency, but there was actually nothing I could do, but give him a killer smile and thank him for everything (making me slowly loose my patience). There was also a situation in our room, where a guest peed on his bed, which made the matrees damaged. It added him 150 pln to his room charge and a terrified looks on receptionists' faces when we heard about it on the shift-change meeting.

Another thing is that after my Emirates fail, I'm still not over the flight attendant idea of mine. And working where I work from now, I will not forget about it. Why? Because everyday we have at least 5 people from Lufthansa flight crew staying with us. But when I told my new coworkers that I want to see stewardesses in uniforms, because I think it's cool, they laughed at me. "Come on, the flight attendants coming to our hotel are usually older ladies" - one girl said. "I'm working here for 1 year and 5 months and I've only seen around 7 beautiful flight attendants from Lufthansa" - one guy added with a serious face - "One came yesterday".
"But the pilots are better" - added the Girl No 1 - "Although they are older, they look quite ok". I think I can believe her statement, because I saw her husband, who's quite a guy. No matter what they say though, I want to see uniformed staff of some airlines and I'm looking forward to it.

I had another reflection too. I think all the things that I plan or wish about doing come to me very slowly. Like, when I started Japanese studies, I wanted to go to Japan, but it became possible only after considerable amout of time passed. When I started thinking about going to China, it was more than a year after I managed to. Working in a good hotel? It took me quite some months to start my current job. So, every year can be named somehow:
Year 2011: LD year (ok, now, that's a shortcut for something I'm not really ready to confess yet haha)
Year 2012: Chinese year.
Year 2013: I hope it will become Hotel&Dance year.

And 2014 is MY year, the year of Horse, so I believe it's when everything goes my way~~~!

No comments:

Post a Comment